Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Bring the troops home

“I will never rush to send the men and women of the arms forces into harm’s way.” This is a quote from President Barrack Obama’s speech on Tuesday, October 26, 2009. I hate to bash the person I voted for and still believe could change our world for the better. But the President is starting to sound like a President I used to know. President Obama claims this is former President George W. Bush’s war, but it is starting to look like the same failed policies. President Obama is in the process of sending 40,000 more troops to Afghanistan.
When will they understand that we cannot and will not change what is going on over there. Now, the people of Afghanistan are starting to build a hatred toward us. We have only made things worse over there. Daily we are making new enemies in the Middle East. All we are doing at this point is sending more of our brothers and sisters over there to die. Fourteen Americans died a couple of days ago in Iraq. Why are we over there at this point? Why are we sending more troops? Why is this war one we have to win? We are fighting a bunch of unsophisticated people from a third world country. I wish someone could tell me, and make me understand why this is so important. I think the Government should bring our troops back. We are failling in to do anything positive in Afghanistan and Iraq.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn’t agree more to what my classmate “Swing Vote” had to say about the war in Afghanistan; However, I have faith (for the lack of a better term) that President Obama will put an end to this war. Sadly, if I am not mistaken he did approve on sending the 40,000 or so troops overseas.
    I do think that our government needs to realize that they can’t really change the ways of the people in Afghanistan and that we are just wasting time there and losing lives. I was unaware of the number of casualties occurring recently because of the war. Overall, “Swing Vote’s” post was good. It contains a couple of numbers there that might poke people’s interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the article "Bring The Troops Home" by Swing Vote, he presents a good argument that our list of reasons for continuing the war is running ever so short. One thing the author may have understated is that the "people of Afghanistan are starting to build a hatred toward us." I believe that these feelings of hatred are nothing new. In fact, I'm sure they started sometime shortly after we began our invasion in October 2001. I believe the intention of our government is positive, but the means by which we attempt to achieve these goals is anything but. You can only bail water out of a sinking ship for so long. Months from now we will only need more troops to bail out the 40,000 we are sending over now.

    Another point I believe to be an oversight is the statement that we are "failing to do anything positive in Afghanistan and Iraq." After a bit of research, I found some interesting facts about the war on a fellow blogger's well-cited page. I believe that in the grand scheme of things, even positive effects of a war are still the result men with too much power looking to pick a fight. In this case, the United States refuses to quit trying to show the rest of the world that we know how to do everything better, including solving the whole world's problems. In all, the argument and opinion were presented well. Next time, I would just encourage the author to dig a little deeper, if not for the sake of a better blog then for the sake of a slightly more informed opinion.

    ReplyDelete